In 2015 Apple changed the ACMT certification process. Now, once you’re certified, you’re certified for life.
However, after you become an Apple Technician, you will need to continue taking smaller certifications for the individual Macs. You will need to complete these certifications before working with the new machines or ordering parts for them.
In this outline, we will just focus on getting your ACMT certification. From studying to testing, this whole process starts at $340 (not including the individual Mac certifications you will need to continually take). Those individual tests are usually $15 each.
2 Study Options
There are some options to study for the ACMT tests. We highlight two:
#1: Apple offers an online training program through a training site called ATLAS. If you wish to study at your own pace, you can purchase access to the ACMT training section: AppleCare Technician Training.
#2: Visit a training location at an Apple Authorized Training Center. This option is much more costly.
You need to pass two tests (with a score of at least 80%) to get your ACMT Certification:
- Apple Service Fundamentals Exam (SVC-17A)
- ACMT 2017 Mac Service Certification Exam (MAC-17A).
You must pass the Apple Service Fundamentals Exam before you can take the ACMT 2017 Mac Service Certification Exam. Currently, prices for the tests have been reduced to $20! This is a huge discount, as they were previously $150 a test.
3 steps before taking the Tests
Before you can take your test, there’s a little setup. Take attention to all these 3 steps:
- Make sure you have an Apple ID that has not been used in iTunes or iCloud.
- Setup a Tech ID. Keep this Tech ID in a safe place as you will need it frequently. You should always include it if you need to email Apple regarding any certifications (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Then head over to Pearson and set up an account with Pearson. Make sure you enter your Tech ID from the previous step in the field that requests it. Then you will need to wait (approximately 1 day) for the Pearson team to set up your account and email you.
How to get the ACMT Certification?
Now that you have your account, you now can login to the Pearson website for Apple and do the tests.
Important: Failing any battery/safety questions will result in a complete failure of the test. So make sure you spend some time reviewing these topics.
The Apple email contact for any training questions is email@example.com
After you’ve passed both tests, it should be listed when you log in on Apple’s certification site (certifications.apple.com). If not, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (don’t forget to include your Tech ID).
Congratulations! You are now an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician FOR LIFE!